Get Adobe Flash player


Font Size:

Hi everyone!  Thai New Year (Songkran) is this fast approaching. I’ll be celebrating at Wat Thai this weekend so if you see me, please say ‘hi’.  Next weekend, Songkran celebration will be out in Thai Town. Please see my facebook page for time, date and activities. Anyhow, I hope everyone has a great time celebrating Thai New Year. Be safe and have fun! 

This week's article covers the often dreaded "RFE", or Immigration's Request for Evidence. Don't panic if you should happen to get one of these from Immigration.  We have handle many of these requests and can help you too.

What is a Request for Evidence?

A Request for Evidence (RFE) is a request issued by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) when they need more information in order to continue with the processing of your application or petition.  Don't over stress if you should happen to get one of these request. It doesn't necessarily mean that USCIS is going to deny your application or petition.  The immigration officer that is adjudicating your particular case just needs more evidence and proof in order to make a decision either to approve or deny your petition. The most important thing, however, is to respond to this request by the time frame given. The government's RFE is generally issued on blue or yellow paper and will give you a time frame in which to respond, usually 30 or 60 days.

What do you do if you receive a Request for Evidence?

As mentioned above, the most important thing is to make sure that you respond to your RFE before the deadline given by USCIS. If you fail to respond, USCIS will either determine that you abandoned your application/petition and issue a denial, or it will make an ultimate decision on your case without the information that it requested (which most likely will result in a denial as well). If you have an attorney, I would strongly recommend that you notify him or her about this RFE, just in case your attorney did not receive this notice.

Very Important: When you respond, be sure to submit every document or piece of evidence that the RFE requests. If they request A, B, and C, make sure you submit A, B, and C.  For example, if your notice requests for you to send: (1) your driver's license, (2) your birth certificate, and (3) your 2013 Federal Income Tax Return, you must do exactly this. If you submit your driver's license, your birth certificate and your 2014 Federal Income Tax Return, you would not have been in compliance with the RFE.  Why? Reread the example in case you missed it. The RFE requested in (3) that you submit 2013, not 2014. This is a simple example, but it stresses the importance of making sure you understand what the RFE is requesting and that you respond exactly to those requests. Contact my office if you need assistance.

Change of Addresses

You do not want to miss an RFE or any other important documents! So if you happen to change your address at any time, you will need to notify immigration of this within 10 days of your move.  I recommend you do it even sooner if you can.

If you have any other questions about RFE's or need assistance in responding to it, we are here for you.  Just contact my office so we can assistance you.  As always, if you have any questions about this or any other legal issues, please contact my office at (818) 846-5639, or my Thai direct line at (818) 505-4921. Also, if you have any questions that you would like to be answered in future articles, please email me at: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or visit my website at: WWW.JC4LAW.COM for general information regarding this and many other topics in Business, Property and Family Law. Now on FACEBOOK at: 

Disclaimer: The information contained herein have been prepared for informational purposes only and are not to be considered legal advice unless otherwise specified. All opinions expressed are those of the author and in no way shall be associated with Sereechai Newspaper. If you have a specific question regarding your personal case, please contact the Law Offices of Joseph Chitmongran for a full consultation.